Many users have their Google My Business Posts rejected, especially posts with Images and Videos. In this article, I am going through all the possible issues.
Why Your GMB Posts are Rejected:
- Images/Videos not following Video Criteria
- Not allowed content in your text and/or images
- Violating the Post policy
- New Google AI Update or bug
Images/Videos not following Video Criteria
Photos and Videos are subject to the following criteria:
- Google Post AI does not like much these types of images:
- Stock photos
- other manually created imagery or imagery taken by other parties
- Bad Quality or excessive use of Filters:
- Excessively dark or blurry images
- Out of focus, shaky, or has bad exposure
- Minimal Stylistic Filters are allowed
- Excessive edits and text in the image can cause rejection:
- Superimposed content cannot take up more than 10% of the image or video, and must be limited to a single edge.
- Distracting superimposed text or graphics must be relevant and not distracting.
- Not following guidelines:
- Images: JPG or PNG, between 10 KB and 5 MB, minimum resolution: 250 px tall, 250 px wide.
- Videos: MP4, Up to 30 seconds long, Up to 75 MB, 720p or higher
In summary, Google Post AI likes relevant photos or videos taken by users at the location in question with as few filters as possible and respect the guidelines.
Not allowed content in your text and/or images
- Phone numbers
- Some Special characters
- All Caps
- Inappropriate words, e.g swear words, medical procedures, etc
Use the post button to convey the action required
Check Post Policies as it could be violating one of them
Examples of such content that is not allowed includes:
- Alcohol, guns, tobacco products, gambling, financial services, pharmaceuticals and unapproved supplements, or health/medical devices.
- Misspellings, gimmicky character use, gibberish, or automated or distracting content (such as blurry or poor image/video quality or unrecognizable content)
- Images, videos, or links that negatively distract user attention
- Links to malware, viruses, or other harmful software
- Links to sites irrelevant to the business
- Phishing scams
- Harassing, bullying, or hateful content.
- Content that contains obscene, profane, or offensive language or gestures.
- Content that promotes or encourages violence, or that graphically depicts injuries, abuse of humans or animals, or violent acts.
New Google AI Update or bug
If Google releases a new update to its AI, it is normally to be more strict and catch more posts violating the rules, but sometimes the updates create bugs where they reject complaint posts.
This issue has already happened a few times in the last few months. If it is an update, Google may refine it to be less strict
How to check where the issue is: in the Image/Video or Text?
Remove the Images/Video and then try to post only the text.
If the “text” post is accepted, then the post has been rejected due to the Images/Video.
If the “text” post is rejected then look carefully at the text.
Why did Google My Business didn’t reject my posts previously? And why previous posts are now tagged rejected.
Many people ask me “I have been posting like this for clients for years and it’s never been a problem until now” and I say because it’s Google’s AI that identifies and rejects posts, so an algorithm…
As we know algorithms are far from perfect, in the case of posts the Algorithm can wrongly reject compliant posts but the majority of the time it does not catch all infringing posts. That’s why your previous posts that weren’t compliant with Google’s guidelines were not rejected.
New Google AI Posts Update/Bug Tracker
Update 2021 September 20 – Users reporting increased posts rejection, especially in the last few days, Google advised is looking into it.
If you need to further your knowledge about Google My Business just check my ULTIMATE Google My Business Training! Early bird discount available 😉
Google My Business Posts Policy Update
“Google My Business is not meant to be a forum for general political, social commentary, or personal rants. Content that does not meet this standard will be removed.” – This is the new text in the Google My Business Post Content Policy‘s page under “Off-topic/irrelevant” header.
To learn the latest about Google My Business, you should check these articles:
- Google My Business Suspended: Flagged For Suspicious Activity or Due To Quality IssuesYour business has been unfortunately suspended, and the reason for […]
- 500 Error Message When You Verify Your Google My Business ProfileThere is a new trending issue with Google My Business, […]
- Google My Business Products Not ApprovedGoogle changed the way Products work on Google My Business, […]