Unfortunately time to time, there are issues with Google Business Profile (prev. Google My Business) Categories and I will advise those on this page to keep you informed.
For updated information on these issues, solutions and notifications when issues are resolved you should look at GBPedia.
Why Google Changed Your Google Business Profile Category and Previous Category Is Not Available
Your Google Business Profile category has been changed (but not by you), and when you try to change it back, Google doesn’t accept the change showing a warning message:
- “Your business category requires a location customers can visit”
- “Not available unless your business location appears on Google Maps”
What is happening? Since the beginning of July 2021, some GMB categories seem not to be allowed anymore for Service Area Business Profiles. Below is a list of some of the categories affected (in front I added Google suggestions of a suitable category) are:
- Cremation Service – Google’s suggestion: “Pet funeral services or ritual service”
- Auto Dent Removal Service – Google’s suggestion: “Auto painting”
- Tire stores / Tire Shop – Google’s suggestion: “Wheel Store”
- Auto glass shop – Google’s suggestion: “Glass Repair Service”
- Auto repair – Google’s suggestion: “Car Repair”
- Pilates studio – Google’s suggestion: “Body Shaping Class”
- RV repair shop – Google’s suggestion: “Car Repair”
- Window tinting service – Google’s suggestion: “Auto window tinting service”
- Baker – Google’s suggestion: “Catering”
- Film and photograph library – Google’s suggestion: “Photography”
Unfortunately, Google decided to change the criteria on some Google Business Profile categories, only allowing businesses with a physical location (Storefront Businesses). However, Product Experts are trying to understand the extension of this issue and if those categories can become available for Service Area Businesses again.
Google Business Profile Categories Missing (Healthcare mainly)
Dozens of healthcare categories apparently have been removed, to what appears to be a bug. Users are seeing this error: “This business category isn’t available in your region”.
A bit of good news is that whatever is going on it does not seem to be impacting the categories on the front end or rankings.
Google has been alerted and I am waiting for their response.
|Full List of Missing Categories|
|Psychosomatic medical practitioner|
|Pediatric orthopedic surgeon|
|Pain management physician|
|Occupational medical physician|
|Men’s health physician|
|Infectious disease physician|
|Hyperbaric medicine physician|
|Family practice physician|
|Cardiovascular and thoracic surgeon|
Some users are even having issues with healthcare facilities’ addresses, showing the business category error.
2021 November 19- I am seeing that the missing categories are back now, but I am still getting an error message when I try to select them. Looks like this bug is close to being fixed, hopefully.
I hope this article helped you.
If you need further help, I am here for you. It does not matter if it’s your business or you are a professional that wants help with a client case, you can find more on my Consultancy service page
To learn the latest about Google Business Profile (Google My Business), you should check these articles:
- If Google has suspended/disabled your Google Business Profile, should you create a new Google Business Profile?So your Google Business Profile is suspended or disabled and […]
- Google Business Profile Guidelines and RulesThis article shows the Google Business Profile Guidelines and Rules […]
- How To Fix Your Google Business Profile Suspended Because It Was Flagged For Suspicious ActivityI wrote this guide to help you if you have […]