Google released the 2020 Spam report on Google Maps: “A look at how we tackle fake and fraudulent contributed content”. However, I will look at stats connected to Google My Business.
- 55 million policy-violating Customer reviews were blocked or removed, of those, 960,000 reviews were reported by users.
- 3 million fake/Spam Google My Business Profiles were removed, of those, 300,000 reviews were reported by users.
- 160 million photos were reviewed and removed that violated policies or were of low quality.
- 3.5 million videos were reviewed and removed that violated policies or were of low quality.
- Google suspended more than 610,000 user accounts after detecting and investigating suspicious or policy-violating behaviour.
- Google stopped more than 3 million attempts by bad actors to verify Google My Business Profiles that didn’t belong to them.
Google confirmed using AI during the Google My Business verification process to help fight spam.
Even though the magnitude of these numbers, I believe Google could do even better but I am hopeful.
To learn the latest about Google My Business, you should check these articles:
- A Google Account associated with this Business Profile is not in good standingYou have received an email from Google confirming that your… Read more: A Google Account associated with this Business Profile is not in good standing
- Google Business Profile: “your appeal has not been approved”If you received an email informing you that your appeal… Read more: Google Business Profile: “your appeal has not been approved”
- Why your Business is Not Showing On Google MapsAre you struggling to find your business on Google Maps?… Read more: Why your Business is Not Showing On Google Maps