This question was submitted in the Google My Business Help Community Forum.
Details: “I can’t change my primary phone number”
Normally you do the following to change your Primary Number:
How to change a phone number to Google My Business Profile
- Go to the Info section by pressing “Info” on the main menu on the left-hand side
- Go down to the “Phone” field and press on the pencil to edit this field
- Change your Primary Phone
- When you have finished, press “Apply”
However, after 3 days you may find your Primary number under review or gets orange crossed. Why? Google does not trust that phone number.
These are solutions to change the Primary Phone Number if gets stuck:
If you changed your phone number in your GMB profile but didn’t change the phone number in other digital properties (aka citations): Facebook, Yelp, Tripadvisor, Yellow Pages, BBB, etc.
Go to your other digital properties to change the number and search your business name in Google for other places where your business information is, and you were not aware of.
After a couple of weeks try again to change the number again.
Some users reported that this workaround works:
- Go to the Google My Business App
- Press on Profile
- Go down to the phone number,
- Tap on top of phone field,
- The editor opens for you to change Primary and additional numbers. Be sure to use the same format.
- Then click Save at the top right. The change will show right away in the app but takes a couple of hours to show on Google.
If everything fails you need to contact Google My Business Support and request for them to apply the change.
In my Google My Business Training – GMB Empower I will go in-depth about how to take advantage of phone numbers, call tracking, etc.
You can also check another FAQ question related to phone numbers: Why GMB doesn’t show two phone numbers?
Hope it helps.
To learn the latest about Google My Business, you should check these articles:
- Google My Business New Metrics Rolled outI reported a few months ago that Google was rolling […]
- Google My Business Messaging is getting a boostGoogle is releasing new ways for your businesses to see […]
- Google My Business/Google Maps Spam and Fake Listings Guide FAQFAQs about Spam/Fake Businesses on Google