In this guide, I start with the normal procedure to change the phone number on your Google Business Profile (form. Google My Business).
Then I provide some solutions if you are not able to change it or Google does not accept your “new” phone number (Under review/Orange Crossed).
How to change a phone number on your Google Business Profile
- Go to the Info section by pressing “Info” on the left-hand side main menu
- Go down to the “Phone” field and press on the pencil to edit this field
- Change your Primary Phone Number
- When you have finished, press “Apply”
- if it doesn’t change after 2 days, these are solutions to change the Primary Phone Number.
Step by Step Screenshots
However, after 3 days you may find your Primary number under review or gets orange crossed. Why? Google does not trust that phone number.
Solutions to change the Primary Phone Number if gets stuck
Tip: If you are a GBPedia Member, you can follow a more in-depth personalized guide (includes screenshots, tips, videos, checklists) just login into GBPedia. If you are not a member but are curious about it, check here: GBPedia resources for Google Business Profile.
First make sure you follow these Google Business Profile guidelines for phone numbers:
- Your Profile is verified.
- You should use a local phone number instead of a central call center helpline number whenever possible.
- Do not provide phone numbers that redirect or “refer” users to phone numbers other than those of the actual business.
- The phone number must be under the direct control of the business.
- Premium-rate telephone numbers are not allowed.
If you changed your phone number on your Google Business Profile but didn’t change the phone number on other digital properties (aka citations): Facebook, Yelp, Tripadvisor, Yellow Pages, BBB, etc.
Go to your other digital properties to change the number and search your business name on Google Search for other places where your business information is, and you were not aware of.
After a couple of weeks try again to change the number.
Some users reported that this workaround works:
- Go to the Google My Business App
- Press on Profile
- Go down to the phone number,
- Tap on top of phone field,
- The editor opens for you to change Primary and additional numbers. Be sure to use the same format.
- Then click Save at the top right. The change will show right away in the app but takes a couple of hours to show on Google.
If everything fails you need to contact Google Business Profile Support and request for them to apply the change.
When you submit the form you will get an auto-responder. Make sure you reply to the auto-responder, you should hear back from Support in about 48 hours.
You can also check another FAQ question related to phone numbers: Why GMB doesn’t show two phone numbers?
Hope it helps.
To learn the latest about Google Business Profile (Google My Business), you should check these articles:
- Photos Uploaded Not Visible On Public Google Business Profile IssueThere is a big increase in the last few days […]
- Google Business Profile Request Ownership Email with Incorrect Button Links IssueThis is a serious issue. As described in this section […]
- How to Update your Google Business Profile Directly from Google Search or MapsYou can now update/edit your Google Business Profile (formerly Google […]