This guide will show how to change the business name on your Google Business Profile (formerly Google My Business), with step by step screenshots. Please read the important notes and FAQ section in this article before changing your business name.
Can I Change My Business Name on Google?
Yes, you can change the business name on your Google Business Profile (ex. Google My Business) . Before you do it, check my “Important notes” section. If you want to go ahead, you can use the instructions below to change your business name on Google.
How to Change Business Name on Google
- Sign in to Google Business Profile Manager.
- In the menu on the left, click on “Info”.
- Go to the business name field and press on the pencil for you to edit the field.
- Clear the field and add the new name
- Click Apply.
Screenshots on how to change your business name on Google Business Profile (ex. Google My Business)
Changing the business name on Google Important Notes
1. After you submit, the status next to the information you edited will be “Under review.”
2. Changing the business name may trigger a request for re-verification of the profile or even a suspension as Google will need to verify the new name is eligible.
3. Do it the right way by avoiding falling foul of Google’s guidelines and, at the same time, taking advantage of increased rankings and branded searches. If you are unsure how to take advantage and use your Google Business Profile to its maximum capabilities, why not book a clinic consultation with me.
4. It has to match your business’ real-world name. If you add extra words to match your service/category/product or to match your city/town/village can be considered spam and result in your profile being suspended.
5. If your business changes its name and meets the following criteria, reviews may not be removed:
• You make a minor name change.
• You have multiple locations and the business name changes.
If your business changes its name but doesn’t meet the criteria above, it’s considered a new business and reviews could be removed.
6. If you are changing your business address as well, check this guide: Change Business Address On Google
Changing the Business Name on Google FAQ
What happens if I change my business name on Google?
Normally it goes to “under review” status, then:
– If it is a small business name change should go live after a couple of hours. Example: from “Company Ltd” to just “Company”
– If the business name change is considered “big” by Google AI, this is what can happen:
– Google accepts and your new business goes live
– you need to do a new business profile verification
– the business profile gets suspended
– a manual review by Google Support
How do I change my business name on Google Maps?
Your account needs to be verified, if it is just follow the steps at the top of this article.
Can I rename my business on my Google Business Profile?
Yes, you can. Just follow the steps in this article.
How long does it take to change your business name on Google?
If the new business name edit is accepted by Google, then within 48 hours, the new business name should be live across Google Search and Google Maps profiles.
Can I change my Google business name and keep reviews?
If the business name change is not a minor change, it can be considered a new business and reviews could be removed. But Google rarely removes reviews.
To learn the latest about Google Business Profile, you should check these articles:
- How to add users to Google Business Profile (form. Google My Business)This guide will show an easy way to add users […]
- How to Remove Users from Google Business ProfileThis guide will show an easy way to remove users […]
- How to Remove Myself from Google Business ProfileYou probably are an ex-manager or previous owner and you […]