Many businesses are service area businesses, unfortunately, for some reason, this type of Google Business Profiles (formerly Google My Business Listings) get affected by several issues a year. Therefore, I created this page to inform users of the current and closed issues.
- Service Area Business Hidden Location Reset After Moving Addresses aka “Kansas Bug”
- Service Area Business Ranking At The Older Location After Moving Addresses
- You Can’t Clear The Address Successfully to Hide it
- Service Area Business Profiles Not Opening On Google Search Finder and Showing up in Middle of an Ocean on Google Maps
For updated information on these issues, solutions and notifications when issues are resolved you should look at GBPedia (which also includes many tips and guides for service area businesses).
Service Area Business Hidden Location Reset After Moving Addresses aka “Kansas Bug”
Google Business Profile for Service Area Businesses are having an issue with the change of address when you move location, it’s affecting at least businesses in US, Australia, Canada, UK. Normally, you come across this issue when you search for your business and it is not ranking on Google for your current city/town.
The listings are instead placed in:
- Independence/Fawn Creek, Kansas if you are in the US
- Ghan, NT if you are in Australia
- Saskatchewan, if you are in Canada
- Moffat, if you are in UK
What is happening is that the business address change will not work and it will remove the address on the back end.
Service Area Business Ranking At The Older Location After Moving Addresses
This issue is similar to the first issue (Kansas Bug), but instead of resetting the address to the middle of the country after moving from one location to another, your profile ranks in the old location… so the solutions are the same.
You Can’t Clear The Address Successfully to Hide it
This issue is happening to a few users when they tried to clear the address to hide it and Google keeps trying to add the cleared address back in and remove the service area.
Most of the cases I dealt with are business profiles being reinstated after a suspension and the old address that was showing comes back on reinstatement.
Service Area Business Profiles Not Opening On Google Search Finder and Showing up in Middle of an Ocean on Google Maps
This issue is happening to a couple of service area businesses and only on the desktop as it is working fine on smartphones.
This issue happens when users searching for a service on Google Search or Google Maps click to show a service area business profile:
- On Google Search Finder, when you click on a profile with this issue nothing happens… so the profile does not open as it should, showing the business details.
- On Google Maps, when you click on a profile with this issue the profile does show as it should, but the map on the right shows a location in the middle of the ocean…
I hope this article helped you.
If you need further help, I am here for you. It does not matter if it’s your business or you are a professional that wants help with a client case, you can find more on my Consultancy service page
To learn the latest about Google Business Profile (Google My Business), you should check these articles:
- How to add users to Google Business Profile (form. Google My Business)This guide will show an easy way to add users […]
- How to Remove Users from Google Business ProfileThis guide will show an easy way to remove users […]
- How to Remove Myself from Google Business ProfileYou probably are an ex-manager or previous owner and you […]