Your business profile on Google has been unfortunately suspended, and the reason for the suspension normally is only “due to quality issues” or “suspicious activity”.
Therefore in this article, I will explore the “Suspended” alert messages from Google and the most common reasons for a profile suspension.
Main Suspended Reason Messages from Google
- Suspended for suspicious activity:
- “Your listing has been suspended because it was flagged for suspicious activity”
- “This location has been suspended because it was flagged for suspicious activity”
- or “Your Business profile on Google has been suspended because it was flagged for suspicious activity”
- Suspended due to quality issues:
- “Your listing has been suspended due to quality issues”
- “This location has been suspended due to quality issues”
- or “Your profile has been suspended due to quality issues”
What do they mean?
Your listing/profile/location has been suspended because it was flagged for suspicious activity
Normally this type of suspension is due to:
- Certain Profile Edits (Business name, Address, Service Area Businesses, Phone number, Category)
- Several Edits were made in one single section and it does not matter which edits were
- Owner’s Google Account was suspended
Your listing has been suspended due to quality issues
Normally, this type of suspension is due to:
- Google Algorithm signalized issues with your profile, most of the time because:
- Finds conflicting information about your business on the web (directories, Social Networks, your website)
- Identifies your address as residential address, co-working space, PO Box, UPS Store, Virtual address
- Found duplicates (How to find and remove duplicates)
- User(s) reported the listing on Google through the “Suggest an edit” feature – Algorithm suspension if it thinks reporting is justified
- User(s) reported through redressal form – Manual suspension by a Support Agent
Main Reasons for a Google Business Profile Suspension
- Keyword stuffing your business name.
- Using a P.O. Box or UPS store address.
- You set up your listing at a virtual office or co-working space address.
- You have a service-area business and are displaying a physical address.
- You have an online-only business.
- You are in a high-risk business category, like lawyers, plumbers, HVAC, locksmiths, rehab centers, etc.
- If another business shares your same address.
- You have made a bunch of changes/edits to your GMB profile at one sitting.
- The URL you add to your GMB profile forwards/redirects to another website or links to a social media page.
- If you change your listing from a Storefront to a Service Area Business (SAB).
- Your address or hours don’t match what is listed on your website or other online business directories/citations.
- You list your business hours as 24/7.
- A manager on your listing got their Account suspended – so your listing got suspended because they got suspended.
- You created multiple listings for the same business at the same address (duplicate listings).
Google does not advise the reasons why your business was suspended
Part of the anxiety of a Google Business Profile suspension is that Google doesn’t tell owners why their profile was suspended. Even if you contact support asking for the reasons.
Normally they tell you to go through the guidelines and try to figure it out by yourself the why.
Google’s advice on how to resolve the suspension
- Review the Google Business Profile guidelines.
- Ensure your profile follows the guidelines.
- After your profile meets guidelines, you can ask for reinstatement
Comprehensive Suspension and Reinstatement Guide
So not much help from Google… That’s why I created a comprehensive Suspension and Reinstatement Guide in my Google Business Profile Training and Guide, all part of GBPedia, a great help to reinstate your profile successfully.
Google Business Profile Suspension After Reinstatement Issue
Some businesses are getting suspended, reinstated, and then immediately suspended again, so in a “Suspension/Reinstatement Loop”. Leaving users unable to request a new reinstatement as Support thinks you have filed a reinstatement request… Several businesses have been suspended for over 2 months and counting.
This is a known technical issue. Google is aware and working on fixing it.
What can you do?
Contact Google Business Profile Support about this issue, I have a template on the guide you can use if you are member.
To learn the latest about Google My Business, you should check these articles:
- Google Business Profile Request Ownership Email with Incorrect Button Links IssueThis is a serious issue. As described in this section […]
- How to Update your Google Business Profile Directly from Google Search or MapsYou can now update/edit your Google Business Profile (formerly Google […]
- Google Business Profile Scams AlertsUnfortunately, there are many scams affecting Google Business Profiles (formerly […]