I wrote this guide to help you if you have your Google Business Profile suspended for suspicious activity or other reasons. Sometimes you may not realize that your Google Business Profile has been suspended until you see the following message on your GBP dashboard: “Your access has been suspended because this profile doesn’t follow the guidelines.“
I’ll walk you through everything you need to know to remove the suspension from your Google Business Profile (for suspicious activity or otherwise).
I will explore the most common reasons why your Google Business Profile was suspended (for suspicious activity or otherwise) and how you can fix your Google Business Profile suspension and get reinstated. In my experience, 99% of suspended profiles can be reinstated but each suspension is unique.
Most likely, you received an email from Google to advise: “Your Business profile on Google has been suspended because it was flagged for suspicious activity.”
Or perhaps, you didn’t receive the email but when you go to your Google Business Profile dashboard you see the following message:
“Your business is not visible to customers” followed by “Your access has been suspended because this profile doesn’t follow the guidelines. Edit your business info and learn how to regain access. Learn more“
Why Was My Google Business Profile Suspended For Suspicious Activity?
This is the top question people ask, the “why”. It makes sense as we want to know what we did so wrong that Google suspended our Google Business Profile (GBP).
Below are the general reasons why your Google Business Profile was suspended, and in the next section, I explore the main reasons in detail.
- Google Algorithm signalized issues with your profile, most of the time because:
- Finds conflicting information about your business on the web (directories, Social Networks, your website)
- Identifies your address as a residential address, co-working space, PO Box, UPS Store, Virtual address
- Found duplicates
- User(s) reported the profile on Google through the “Suggest an edit” feature – Google AI suspension if it “thinks” reporting is justified
- User(s) reported through Google’s redressal form – manual suspension by a Google Support Agent
- Editing important profile information (Business name, Address, Service Area Business, Phone number, Primary Category)
- Several edits were made in one single session
- The owner’s Google User Account was suspended
What suspicious activities/main reasons will get your Google Business Profile suspended?
- Keyword stuffing your business name, you have to use your correct business name.
- Changing to a business address other than the one used for verification.
- Using a P.O. Box or UPS store address, not acceptable by Google.
- If you use a virtual office or a co-working space as your business address, there are specific strict rules that must be followed.
- Your business is a service-area business but your profile is showing a physical address.
- You have an online-only business, not normally eligible.
- You are in a high-risk business category, like lawyers, plumbers, HVAC, locksmiths, electricians, rehab centers, etc.
- Similar business shares the same address.
- You have made a bunch of changes/edits to your Google Business Profile in one go.
- The URL you added to your business profile forwards/redirects to another website or links to a social media page.
- If you changed your profile from a Storefront to a Service Area Business (SAB), by removing the address.
- Your address or hours don’t match what is listed on your website or other online business directories/citations.
- Your business hours are 24/7.
- An owner user (sometimes a manager) on your profile got their user account suspended – so your business profile got suspended because they got suspended.
- You created multiple listings for the same business at the same address (duplicate profiles).
- Photos, Posts, Services, Business Description spammy or against Google’s policies.
- False-positives, Google AI is not sure the profile is eligible.
I actually created a list with 75 reasons/issues that can suspend a profile. Not allowing your profile to be reinstated by Google.
Does Google advise the reasons why your business was suspended for suspicious activity?
Part of the anxiety of a Google Business Profile suspension is that Google doesn’t tell you why your profile was suspended. Even if you contact support asking for the reasons.
They tell you to go through the guidelines and try to figure out by yourself the why:
How To Fix A Suspended Google Business Profile Flagged For Suspicious Activity and Other Suspension Reasons
- Google’s reinstatement process for a Google Business Profile suspended
- Expert help to reinstate your suspended Google Business profile
Google Business Profile Suspended Reinstatement Steps
- Check the Google Business Profile guidelines.
- Review your profile and make any necessary changes to ensure your profile meets all guidelines.
- After making sure your profile meets the guidelines, you submit the reinstatement form.
Even though the reinstatement process can be very frustrating, you should never:
- remove the profile from the dashboard (you will lose all the reviews);
- create a new profile (high chances of getting suspended, even if Google support tells you to do it);
- Submit multiple reinstatements yourself (will only delay your case).
According to Google, the response times is up to 2 weeks – to review, investigate, and clear up most requests. Even though my clients’ cases take less than a week on average, some of them are reinstated after 24 hours. If your request is denied, you can appeal but it can take longer to get a response.
Also, you will need to provide evidence, the very least the business license and utility bill but the amount of evidence and the type of evidence can depend on your business type and location.
if you fill the reinstatement form incorrectly, send the wrong evidence, or don’t resolve all issues, it can take weeks or months before your profile is reinstated or may never get reinstated, unfortunately. I know many cases where this has happened:
Expert Google Business Profile Reinstatement Help
Unfortunately, Google Support cannot help you reinstate your suspended business listing because Google is afraid of inadvertently helping spammers. But I can help you!
I am a Google Business Profile Product Expert and a specialist in reinstating suspended/disabled profiles and having reinstated over 700 listings in the last 12 years.
Even when Google denies your reinstatement request advising your profile is not eligible, I can help you. Through my years of experience, I know all the issues that prevent your profile from being reinstated and what we need to provide Google Support Team to reinstate your profile.
I offer 2 services to help you reinstate your profile, giving you complete control over how you wish to proceed.
GBP Profile Expert Assessment With Action Plan
With this service, you will have the “tools” to confidently submit the reinstatement request yourself, or you can leave it in my hands and proceed with the Reinstatement Assistance Service, as dealing with Google Business Profile Support can be frustrating and time-consuming.
Once I have access to your profile and payment is received I will begin the assessment and I aim to deliver the assessment and the action plan within 24 hours (weekdays).
GBP Profile Expert Reinstatement Assistance Service*
(optional and refundable if not reinstated)
- Request reinstatement on your behalf
- Appeal denied reinstatement
- Escalate cases ( I have access to multiple escalation points that can help me resolve even the most difficult cases)
- Liaise throughout the process with Google on your behalf
*Not a standalone service, only available in conjunction with the GBP Profile Expert Assessment With Action Plan.
– 99% reinstatement success rate and 100% success rate over the past 12 months. If I can’t reinstate your profile, unfortunately no one else can.
– And I will refund you the Reinstatement Assistance Service fee if I am unable to reinstate your profile.
Google Business Profile Suspended FAQ
How long does a Google Business Profile suspension last?
Forever, if you don’t request reinstatement.
How long does Google take to reinstate a suspended business profile after submitting the reinstatement form?
My client cases normally take on average less than a week, sometimes 24 hours. It will depend on how busy Google is, if your profile still not within the guidelines, if you need to appeal after the reinstatement has been denied. It was supposed for Google to review and respond within 3 days, however, with the delays, they changed the wording to “within 2 weeks “.
What can I do if Google denied my reinstatement request?
You can appeal if Google denies reinstating your business profile. I can help you check your profile and appeal on your behalf.
How do I get unsuspended from Google?
You need to check if your profile is breaking any Google Business Profile guidelines and then ask for reinstatement by submitting the reinstatement request form.
Latest Google Business Profile Suspended/Reinstatement Bugs & Errors?
You can find here more about bugs and other issues that can make your reinstatement more difficult.
Can Google suspend your account due to suspicious activity?
Yes, it can. I wrote this article because of it.
Why does my Google business profile keep getting suspended?
This could be because
– Your business profile has been affected by the “Suspension/Reinstatement Loop” bug
– Your business category is a home services category (locksmith, garage door repair, appliance repair, HVAC)
– You keep making changes that violate Google’s Guidelines.
– Your profile has been affected by a malicious attack
I sent the reinstatement request more than 1 week ago and I haven’t received a response yet, what should I do?
You can reply to the initial email you received from Google asking for an update. Or I can help you escalate your case.
What is the different between a Google Business Profile Suspended and a Google Business Profile Disabled?
There are 2 differences:
– How it got the penalty, a suspension is given when there is something suspicious about your edits, there are duplicate profiles, spam fighting/complaint from a competitor or manual suspension by Google Support and a disabled status is usually given by AI that it is not sure your business or that location is real
– Sometimes when you are suspended you can still see the profile live but you cannot manage it, but 100% of the disabled Google Business Profiles are not visible
If Google suspended my Google Business Profile, should I create a new profile?
No, you should not reinstate the profile without exhausting all options, you will lose all reviews, ranking power, and the new profile will most likely get suspended. More on this article: Should you create a new Google Business Profile after suspension.
To learn the latest about Google Business Profile, you should check these articles:
- If Google has suspended/disabled your Google Business Profile, should you create a new Google Business Profile?So your Google Business Profile is suspended or disabled and […]
- Google Business Profile Guidelines and RulesThis article shows the Google Business Profile Guidelines and Rules […]
- How To Fix Your Google Business Profile Suspended Because It Was Flagged For Suspicious ActivityI wrote this guide to help you if you have […]
- Google Business Profile Suspension AttacksThere have been reports of malicious actions against Google Business […]
- Why your Business Profile on Google has been suspended because the address shown in your profile doesn’t match the physical location of the businessI received an email from Google Business Profile advising “Your […]
- Google Business Profile Access Has Been Disabled – How You Can Fix ItIf you are reading this article, sadly you have a […]
- Google Business Profile Reinstatement FormI created this guide to give you a preview of […]
- See why Google Says Your Business Profile Isn’t EligibleI requested reinstatement after my Google Business Profile was suspended […]